Saudi-led strikes target Houthi leaders in Yemen
Coalition targets main command posts of the Iranian-backed Houthi militia in their home region of Saada
The Saudi-led coalition on Saturday continued to target the main command posts of the Iranian-backed Houthi militia in their home region of Saada in Yemen, Al Arabiya News Channel reported.
The command center of Abd al-Baset al-Hadi, one of the Houthi leaders, was the latest target in the coalition’s campaign, which has turned retaliatory after the Yemeni militants’ assault on the Saudi border town of Najran.
The coalition also targeted a command center of another leader named Mehdi al-Mashat in Talah city in Saada and shelled a gathering of militants in the northwestern region, and Ibb province in central Yemen.
The coalition also struck Houthi armored vehicles and other military equipment in al-Baqa’ village in Saada.
Fighter jets destroyed centers of two military leaders in Saada as well as the headquarters of another Houthi leader named Yousef al-Fishi, and shelled the group’s military camp located in the western part of the region.
Earlier on Saturday, the coalition destroyed a command center for a Houthi leader named Ahmed Saleh Hindi in Mathab district in Saada
The Saudi-led warplanes bombed several targets in Saada late on Friday, after a deadline the kingdom had given citizens to leave the province expired.
The raids targeted command centers for the Houthi leader Abdel Malek al-Houthi in several parts of Saada, Saudi state television Al Ekhbariya reported.
The locations included communication centers and weapons storage facilities, the television network said.
Saudi authorities had warned all civilians earlier to leave Saada, which borders on Saudi Arabia, by sunset on Friday after threatening a harsh response to Houthi shelling of Saudi frontier towns earlier this week.
Earlier on Friday, Saudi Arabia announced on Friday that a five-day ceasefire in Yemen will start on May 12.
The statement was made by Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir during a joint press conference with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry after talks in Paris.
Jubeir said the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen is ready to halt airstrikes if Houthis cooperate.
- 1300GMT: Saudi FM proposes five-day humanitarian ceasefire in Yemen
- Saudi deputy crown prince meets with senior armed forces
- Iran rejects Saudi claims it armed Yemen rebels
- U.N.: Yemen import curbs endanger thousands of children
- Saudi FM: Yemen ceasefire starts on May 12
- U.S. strike kills senior Qaeda official in Yemen: Site