Saudi-led coalition accuses Houthis of ‘hiding’ among Yemeni civilians
The coalition will continue its airstrikes to advance its campaign against the Houthis ‘who hide among citizens and hospitals,’ says Asiri
On Saturday, the Saudi-led coalition reiterated its calls for Yemeni civilians to evacuate the Houthi stronghold of Saada, accusing the Iranian-backed militia group of “hiding” among civilians in the northwestern region, which has become the coalition’s main target for its continuous airstrikes.
Following a further 130 airstrikes directed at the Houthis since the re-establishment of Saudi-led campaign, Saudi Defense Ministry spokesman Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri stated at a Saturday press conference that “operations are continuing and [Houthi] leaders will be unable to hide”.
Although the Saudi-led coalition’s air campaign halted last month, it recently re-started after the Houthi militants targeted Saudi border regions Najran and Jazan.
The coalition air campaign first began on March 26, targeting the Houthi rebels and their allies – security forces loyal to ousted president Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Asiri said that 17 Houthi “mastermind” leaders were targeted in the most recent airstrikes, with the coalition also striking arms depots in Saada, near the kingdom’s border.
He also added that despite their increased focus on the north-west, the coalition is not neglecting operations in other Yemeni regions, citing the southwestern city of Aden – considered a stronghold for President Abedrabbu Mansour Hadi – as an example of another area to witness recent airstrikes.
He added: “Yemeni and Saudi citizens are equal”, urging “people who have nothing to do with the Houthis to leave Saada.”
The coalition will continue its airstrikes on Saturday night to advance their campaign against the Houthis “who hide among citizens and hospitals,” according to Asiri.
He said the coalition’s campaign has so far succeeded in preventing any rebels from crossing the Saudi border, warning that the Houthis’ decision to attack these border regions was a “mistake”.
He also cautioned the Houthis against further aggression, saying that the Saudi-proposed truce would be “cancelled” if they were not “responsive”.
Earlier on Friday, Saudi Arabia announced that a five-day ceasefire in Yemen will begin on May 12.
Saudi-led strikes target Houthi leaders in YemenCoalition targets main command posts of the Iranian-backed Houthi militia in their home region of Saada Middle East
Saudi FM: Yemen ceasefire starts on May 12Al-Jubeir said the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen is ready to halt airstrikes if Houthis cooperate Middle East
Iran rejects Saudi claims it armed Yemen rebelsRiyadh’s new Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir on Thursday criticized what he called Iran’s “negative” role in the Yemen conflict Middle East
1300GMT: Saudi FM proposes five-day humanitarian ceasefire in YemenSaudi Arabia's Foreign Minister Adel Al Jubeir proposed a five-day humanitarian ceasefire in Yemen on the condition that the Houthi militias adhere to ... News Bulletins
Saudi FM says ceasefire in Yemen will be 'everywhere or nowhere'Saudi FM Adel al-Jubair said the proposed five-day humanitarian truce depends on Houthis respecting the ceasefire Middle East
Apache helicopter in emergency landing near Yemen border: Saudi source‘The pilots are safe,’ but there was some damage, says one source Middle East
Kerry to discuss ‘humanitarian pause’ in Yemen with Saudi ArabiaU.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Wednesday he will be discussing with Saudi Arabia the implementation of a “humanitarian pause” in ... Middle East
Warplanes strike Yemen’s Saada and Hajja provincesThe strikes occurred after Yemen’s Houthi fighters fired mortar bombs and rockets at a Saudi Arabian border town on Tuesday Middle East
U.N. envoy heads to France, Saudi Arabia to revive Yemen talksOuld Cheikh Ahmed will hold talks in Paris on Wednesday and travel to Saudi Arabia the following day Middle East