‘Militants’ target Egypt judge in Islamists trial
Suspected militants set off a series of small bombs outside the home of an Egyptian judge who had sentenced Islamists to death
Suspected militants set off a series of small bombs on Sunday outside the home of an Egyptian judge who had sentenced Islamists to death, wounding four people and damaging the building, police said.
Judge Mutaz Khafagi, who handed down a life sentence to Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohamed Badie, was in his first-floor apartment in Cairo when the three bombs went off. He was not injured in the suspected militant attack, a police official told AFP.
Khafagi had sentenced 12 men to death in August 2014 after convicting them of murdering a police general in the town of Kerdasa near Cairo during a police crackdown targeting supporters of Mohammed Mursi, the Islamist president, who was ousted in 2013.
Militants have carried out dozens of bombings across the country, often using small rudimentary devices, since Mursi’s overthrow by the army.
Building security caught one of the “terrorists” who planted the bombs on Sunday after they emerged from a taxi, the police official said.
The other suspect escaped and remotely detonated the bombs after a crowd of onlookers gathered outside the house, the official said.
“The explosions damaged the facade of the judge’s home... and broke the windows of three cars parked outside, including the judge’s car,” the officer said.
One of the four wounded civilians was taken to hospital with a neck injury and the others sustained minor wounds, a health ministry official said.
Militants say their attacks are in retaliation for a government crackdown targeting Morsi supporters that has left hundreds dead and thousands jailed.
The government unleashed the crackdown after army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who has since become president, overthrew Morsi following mass protests demanding the Islamist’s resignation.
- Four Egypt militants killed making bombs: police
- Egypt militants behind Cairo blast name new leader
- Egypt militant group confirms chief's killing
- Egypt ‘militant attack’ targets church on Easter
- Dozens of ‘militants’ killed in Sinai: sources
- Egypt refers 215 to court for forming a militant group
- Police captain killed by Cairo bomb claimed by militants
- Assessing Egypt’s campaign against Sinai militants
- ‘Three women killed’ in clashes in Egypt’s Sinai
- Sisi: Egypt faces tough battle with militants