Two topless Femen protesters arrested in Morocco

Two members of controversial feminist campaign group Femen were arrested in Morocco

Published: Updated:
Enable Read mode
100% Font Size

Two members of controversial feminist campaign group Femen were arrested on Tuesday in Morocco after protesting topless in front of a Rabat landmark against the kingdom's treatment of gays, authorities said.

The women, aged 25 and 30, were arrested as they tried to return to France, Morocco's national security agency said.

The women appeared early Tuesday at the Tour Hassan site, which features a half-built minaret from the 12th century and the tomb of King Mohammed V.

The couple then stripped to the waist in the presence of a number of journalists and kissed while showing off naked torsos emblazoned with "in gay we trust." Security forces weren't present at the time.

Images shared on social media showed them embracing each other with their tops off in front of the Hassan Tower, a landmark minaret in the Moroccan capital.

"In gay we trust" is written in black on the torso of one of them.

The General Directorate of National Security, cited by MAP news agency, said the women, who were identified by their initials O.F.L. and D.E.M., "will appear before a judge after the conclusion of an investigation."

The Interior Ministry issued a statement saying the women had been expelled and were banned from the country because of provocative acts "offensive to Moroccan society."

"Those involved were arrested by the police of Rabat International Airport following the filming of obscene sequences at the Tour Hassan esplanade," the statement said, referring to a historic site in the capital.

Homosexuality is against the law in Morocco and periodically people are jailed for it, though like the laws against alcohol and sex outside marriage, it is not generally enforced.

Femen has orchestrated a number of topless protests in Europe, and this was not their first protest in North Africa. In 2013, three Femen activists protested topless in front of a courthouse in Tunisia over the imprisonment of a Tunisian member of their group.

The women were convicted on obscenity charges and sentenced to four months in prison. Their sentences were suspended on appeal and they were expelled from the country.

Top Content Trending