Egypt court sentences 11 to death in Port Said stadium case
In April, the judge had referred the sentencing of the 11 to Egypt's Grand Mufti
An Egyptian court on Tuesday sentenced 11 men to death for involvement in deadly soccer stadium violence in 2012, a televised court session showed.
One of the 11 men was sentenced in absentia.
In April, the judge had referred the sentencing of the 11 to Egypt's Grand Mufti, the country's most senior religious authority, a step towards the death penalty.
- Egypt’s Al Ahly football fans commemorate Port Said massacre
- Al-Ahly and fans hail courts verdict on Port Said match violence
- Egypt’s Port Said bleeds, but for what reason?
- Egypt’s interior minister summoned by judge over Port Said violence
- 7 dead and hundreds injured in clashes at Egypt’s Port Said