‘I am so shocked:’ Father of Tunisian gunman ashamed of son
Following the attack, Hakim Rezgui's father was taken to the capital Tunis for police questioning
The father of the gunman who shot dead tourists in Tunisia this week said he was ashamed of his son and shocked by his actions.
“I could not comprehend it,” Hakim Rezgui told ITV News, “I am so shocked, I have no idea who influenced him, or who put these ideas in his head.”
“He was not a problem to anyone. He was a normal person,” he said.
“I don't know who has changed his mind, influenced him and who has warped his mind,” he added.
Rezgui's father who is a laborer also said: “My son lost his life and he has lost our lives too.”
“He has lost his life, his studies, his future and he's ended our lives too.”
On Friday, Seifeddine Rezgui killed 38 people including when he opened fire in the resort of Sousse.
Rezgui came from the town of Gaafour in the Siliana region and had been a student at the University of Kairouan.
Following the attack, Rezgui's father was taken to the capital Tunis for police questioning.