Kuwait arrests two police officers in crackdown on militants
Kuwait has arrested two police officers as part of a security crackdown on Islamist militants launched after last week's deadly bombing on a mosque
Kuwait has arrested two police officers as part of a security crackdown on Islamist militants launched after last week's deadly bombing on a mosque claimed by ISIS, newspapers reported on Wednesday.
The attack by a suicide bomber on Friday killed 27 people and injured more than 200, prompting the government to declare it was at war with ISIS would strike out at cells believed to be on its soil.
Security forces found weapons, ammunition, maps and slogans supporting ISIS in a raid on the home of a student and another suspect who said they had received the weapons from the officers, al-Rai daily quoted security sources saying.
About 90 people have been detained by authorities investigating the attack on a Shi'ite Muslim mosque in Kuwait City, Al Qabas newspaper said on Wednesday, up from 60 reported by media on the previous day.
The Kuwaiti interior ministry was not immediately available for comment.
Ten suspects -- among them Saudis, Kuwaitis and stateless residents -- had been referred to the public prosecution, it reported, a move that indicates a criminal case has been opened.
Among the 10 are five principal suspects accused of helping the suicide bomber, a Saudi, carry out the attack, it said.
Kuwaiti officials have said the attack was aimed at stirring up sectarian strife in the majority Sunni Muslim state, where the two sects have traditionally coexisted in peace.
Kuwait's interior minister, Sheikh Mohammad al-Khaled al-Sabah, said on Tuesday security forces were determined to dismantle any further cells before these were able to strike.
Friday's attack was one of three that day on three continents linked to ISIS militants. In France, a man was arrested on suspicion of beheading his boss and trying to blow up an industrial gas plant, while in Tunisia a gunman shot nearly 40 people at a beach resort in Tunisia.
Kuwait considers laws expanding security after Shiite mosque attackIn a funeral procession following the attack, scores of Sunni and Shiite Kuwaitis mourned their losses Analysis
Saudi cabinet: Terror attacks contrary to all Islamic principlesThe Saudi council of Ministers desbribe all recent terror attacks in Kuwait, Tunisia and France as contrary to Islamic values Middle East
13:00 GMT: Kuwait considers new laws to expand scope of securityNews Bulletins
Kuwait bomber’s elusive childhood years exposed by family memberQabaa is believed to have never visited Iraq or Syria, despite his leanings towards ISIS’ militant ideology Features
ISIS issues audio clip of ‘Kuwait bomber’Kuwaiti authorities have identified the bomber as Fahd Suliman Abdul-Muhsen al-Qabaa, a Saudi national Middle East
Kuwait identifies mosque bomber as Saudi nationalFahd Suliman Abdul-Muhsen al-Qabaa flew into Kuwait's airport hours before he detonated explosives at the mosque Middle East