Kuwait mulls charging 40 over mosque bomb
The Saudi bomber killed 26 people and wounded 227 in the June 26 attack in the capital Kuwait City
Kuwait is considering charging more than 40 people in connection with a deadly suicide bombing in a Shiite mosque claimed by the Islamic State group, a security official said Sunday.
“More than 40 suspects, including a number of women, have been referred to the public prosecution,” the official told AFP, requesting anonymity.
“Now, it is up to the prosecution whether to press charges against all of them or not,” the official said.
The Saudi bomber killed 26 people and wounded 227 in the June 26 attack in the capital Kuwait City.
Among the defendants are the alleged driver of the bomber and the alleged owner of the house where the driver stayed.
Kuwait has a confessionally divided population of around one third Shiite to two thirds Sunni.
Last month's attack was the first in the emirate to be claimed by IS, which controls swathes of neighboring Iraq and Syria.
- Kuwait tightens security as emir attends joint prayers
- Kuwait and Saudi Arabia: Who is the target?
- Kuwait’s parliament approves budget with $27 billion deficit
- Kuwait makes DNA tests mandatory after ISIS bombing
- Kuwait arrests two police officers in crackdown on militants
- Saudi cabinet: Terror attacks contrary to all Islamic principles
- Kuwait considers laws expanding security after Shiite mosque attack