Kuwait uncovers ISIS network
Kuwait said the uncovered ISIS network includes five Kuwaitis
Kuwait said on Thursday it had uncovered a network of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militant group including five Kuwaitis and referred them to judicial authorities for prosecution.
An interior ministry statement carried by the official KUNA state news agency added that the individuals had been active in neighboring Iraq and also in Syria.
The individuals admitted receiving lessons in the "science of a terrorist organization" and military training, the statement said. "They were involved in fighting operations in both Syria and Iraq."
The Gulf state launched a security crackdown on Islamist militants after a June 26 attack claimed by ISIS, when a Saudi suicide bomber blew himself up inside a Shi'ite Muslim mosque, killing 26 people.
The government declared itself at war with militants and said the bombing, Kuwait's worst militant attack, was aimed at stoking sectarian strife in the majority Sunni state, where the two sects have traditionally co-existed in peace.
An interior ministry source told Reuters the individuals named in Thursday's statement were not connected to the June 26 attack and it was being treated as a separate case.