Egypt militant attack on Sinai house kills five civilians
Medical officials said three children were among those killed
Egyptians security officials say militants in northern Sinai have shelled a house near a security checkpoint, killing an entire family of five members inside it and wounding nine of their neighbors.
The officials say the Tuesday morning attack happened in the restive town of Sheikh Zuweid in the Sinai Peninsula. They say the security checkpoint appeared to be the intended target.
Medical officials said three children were among those killed. The wounded were taken to the town hospital for treatment. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to talk to reporters.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
Egypt is facing a growing insurgency in northern Sinai where an Islamic State affiliate has claimed responsibility for scores of deadly attacks targeting security forces.
- Egypt: ISIS offshoot leader killed in shootout
- Egypt extends state of emergency in North Sinai
- Can Egypt’s new French jets boost its Sinai fight?
- Egyptian police conscript killed by sniper in uneasy Sinai
- PM: ‘Egypt’s stability key to region, world’
- Four Egypt soldiers killed in Sinai bombing
- 7 soldiers, 59 militants killed in Egypt’s Sinai