Croatia says two groups were involved in Salopek's abduction
Vesna Pusic said Thursday the captors requested money from the company Salopek worked for
Croatia's Foreign Minister said two separate groups were involved in the kidnapping of Tomislav Salopek in Egypt - one that kidnapped him and asked for a ransom before handing him over to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), which reportedly killed him.
Speaking in the Croatian coastal town of Rijeka, Vesna Pusic said Thursday the captors requested money from the company Salopek worked for.
Then contact was broken and on Aug. 5 a video emerged showing Salopek as a hostage of the ISIS branch in Egypt.
Salopek's killing is the first of a foreign captive in Egypt, where the government has been struggling to project an image of stability and revive the economy following years of unrest.
Pusic said authorities still could not confirm the killing with certainty.
Meanwhile, reports emerged suggesting that the Croatian hostage has not been killed in Egypt.
ISIS in Egypt threatens to kill Croat hostageAn ISIS affiliate releases a video threatening to kill a Croatian hostage Middle East
Egyptian official: Militants kill one policeman, injure threeEgypt faces increasingly sophisticated attacks from militant organizations, including an affiliate of ISIS Middle East
Egypt’s security under scrutiny after ISIS hostage killingThe latest beheading seems to undermine recent attempts by Egypt’s government to project an aura of security after years of unrest Features
ISIS claims Croatian hostage beheaded in EgyptThe Croat, Tomislav Salopek, was abducted last month west of the capital Cairo Middle East