Death toll in Libya anti-peace deal rally shelling hits 12
Those present were demonstrating against a proposed power-sharing deal put forward by Libya’s U.N. envoy, Bernardino Leon
The death toll for the shelling of a rally in Libya’s second city Benghazi protesting against a U.N.-proposed peace deal has jumped to 12, medics said.
At least 12 people died and 39 were wounded after a volley of shells hit the rally attended by hundreds of people, the LANA news agency close to the internationally recognised Libyan government reported Saturday.
Those present were demonstrating against a proposed power-sharing deal put forward by Libya’s U.N. envoy, Bernardino Leon.
On their Facebook pages, the Benghazi Medical Centre announced eight dead, while the city’s Al-Jalaa hospital announced four had died. Medics initially said five people were killed.
There was no immediate word on who was behind the shelling.
Libya descended into chaos after the October 2011 ouster and killing of longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi, with two governments vying for power and armed groups battling for control of its vast energy resources.
A militia alliance including Islamists overran Tripoli in August 2014, establishing a rival government and a parliament that forced the internationally recognised administration to flee to the country’s remote east.
On October 8, after almost a year of arduous negotiations, Leon put forward a list of names to head a power-sharing government, but both sides rejected the proposed appointments.
Friday’s shelling came two days after Leon insisted he would press on with efforts to clinch a political deal.
The U.N. Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) condemned the attack.
“UNSMIL calls on Libyans to reject violence as a means to settle political differences and stresses that peaceful expression of political views is one of the basic rights in a free society,” it said.
A unity government in Libya is seen as the best chance to tackle the rise there of the Islamic State of Iraq And Syria (ISIS) group and migrant-smuggling from Libya across the Mediterranean to Europe.
“Only through unity can terrorism be confronted and violence brought to an end,” UNSMIL added.
Fayez el-Serraj, a member of the internationally recognised parliament who has been put forward as prime minister in the latest proposal for a unity government, agreed.
“We need to work to overcome our political differences to stand up, hand in hand... against terrorism,” he said.
The Tripoli authorities also condemned the attack, calling it a “criminal and terrorist act carried out by those who have been cracking down on Benghazi for a year and a half.”
The UN last month accused the army of Libya’s internationally recognised government of deliberately trying to sabotage the peace talks with a new offensive in Benghazi.
DATELINE:*Tripoli, Oct 25, 2015 (AFP) -
Libya finds 29 bodies of apparent migrants on beachThe Tripoli authorities' official news agency reported that the migrants were from Africa Middle East
Rockets kill nine at Libya protest against U.N. dealCasualties were reported when rockets hit a protest against a U.N. proposal for a unity government to end a political crisis Middle East
Libya’s recognized parliament rejects U.N. proposalThe U.N. Security Council has threatened to impose sanctions on those who block a peace deal in Libya North Africa
Global powers urge Libyans to form unity govtLibya has had two administrations since August 2014, when a militia alliance that includes Islamists overran the capital Middle East
Warplanes hit Libyan city of Sirte, target ISISISIS has made Sirte its base in Libya, where two rival governments are fighting Middle East
U.N. envoy: Libya political process ‘will go on’U.N. envoy Bernardino Leon insisted efforts to clinch a political deal to end rampant insecurity in Libya will carry on North Africa
U.N. threatens sanctions over LibyaU.N. envoy Bernardino Leon has put forward proposals for the power-sharing government Middle East