Militants ‘to quit south Damascus suburbs’: sources
ISIS and its rival Al-Nusra Front will reportedly quit the districts of Qadam, Hajar al-Aswad and camp of Yarmuk
Some 4,000 people, half of them jihadist fighters, will leave three besieged districts south of Syria’s capital at the weekend as part of a landmark ceasefire, sources told AFP Friday.
ISIS militant group and its rival, Al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate Al-Nusra Front, will reportedly quit the districts of Qadam, Hajar al-Aswad and the besieged Palestinian camp of Yarmuk.
“An agreement was reached whereby 4,000 fighters and civilians, including members of Al-Nusra and ISIS, would leave” the neighborhoods on Saturday, one government official close to the negotiations said.
They would then be transported to the northern cities of Raqa, held by ISIS, and Marea which is controlled by Islamists and Al-Nusra, the official said.
The second phase of the deal would see government institutions reopen in the neighborhoods and “the necessities of daily life would be secured,” the official said.
It will be the first time in more than two years that market goods have been able to be sent in to the three southern districts, which have been under a crippling government siege.
ISIS militants attacked the Yarmuk Palestinian camp in April, fighting Al-Nusra units there for control.
The militants then overran parts of Qadam in August after launching an attack from their base in nearby Hajar al-Aswad.
Their advance into Qadam had brought them closer than ever to central Damascus.
The ceasefire deal comes after two months of intense negotiations between Syria’s government and district leaders, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, one local leader in Qadam said “every fighter will be allowed to leave with his family and one suitcase and his personal weapon.”
The areas are already in the process of being demilitarized.
A Syrian army unit entered Qadam on Thursday to confiscate heavy weapons and military equipment used by the militants, a security source on the ground said.
Eighteen buses had also crossed into the neighborhood in preparation for Saturday’s evacuation, which would include “2,000 combatants, mostly jihadists,” he added.
Local ceasefires have been implemented in other parts of Syria with varying degrees of success.
Typically, towns or villages under siege agree to a truce in exchange for humanitarian aid and the evacuation of wounded civilians and fighters.
A similar deal earlier this month in the central city of Homs saw 2,000 rebels and civilians leave the last opposition-held neighborhood.
Mohammad al-Omari, a representative of Syria’s reconciliation ministry, told AFP that the “first phase of the deal will have a positive effect on Yarmuk and all of the southern areas.”
He said he hoped a “larger reconciliation process” would allow some 1.8 million people to return to the southern suburbs of Damascus.
A United Nations representative in Damascus told AFP the U.N. had no role in the negotiations or developments in the southern suburbs of the capital.
- Syrian FM: World powers must stop fighters entering from Turkey and Jordan
- Russia’s air force conducted 5,240 sorties in Syria since Sept. 30
- Assad’s presence obstructing a solution in Syria
- Syria regime raids kill 28 including 10 children
- Turkey PM accuses pro-Kurdish party head of 'treason' over Russia comments
- Japan seeking information on Japanese journalist held hostage in Syria
- Amnesty: Russian bombing of Syria may be a war crime
- Ministry: Russia's air force hit 1,093 ISIS targets
- Syria ready to take part in Geneva peace talks