Bombs in Syria’s Homs kill 32, wound 90
The blasts, one from a car bomb and another from a suicide attack, struck the Zahra district in the middle of the city
At least 32 people were killed and 90 wounded in two bomb explosions in the Syrian city of Homs on Monday, monitoring group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The blasts, one from a car bomb and another from a suicide attack, struck the Zahra district in the middle of the city, said the Britain-based Observatory, which monitors the conflict through a network of contacts on the ground.
Syria’s state news agency SANA reported two car bomb blasts, but gave a lower initial toll of six dead and 37 wounded.
It was the second major attack in the city since a ceasefire deal took effect earlier this month, paving the way for the government to take over the last rebel-controlled area of Homs.
Twin blasts on Dec. 12, also in Zahra, killed at least 16 people. Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed responsibility for that attack, saying it had detonated a suicide car bomb.
Under the Homs ceasefire deal, at least 700 insurgent fighters and members of their families left
- Will Iran choose diplomacy over military fight in Syria?
- ISIS says it was behind deadly attack in Syria’s Homs
- Syria to South Sudan: Aid groups list top humanitarian fears for 2016
- Syria anti-ISIS documentary maker 'assassinated' in Turkey
- U.S. reports 17 air strikes against ISIS on Christmas Day
- Czech leader slams ‘organized migrant invasion’
- Syrian fighters arrive in Idlib after Homs ceasefire deal
- Syrians leave rebel-held Homs in truce deal
- Russia denies plans for new bases in Syria