Dubai proves resilient, Happy New Year!
Spectators said their spirits had not been dampened by an earlier blaze, which happened just a few hundred meters away
Dubai brought in the near year with a chain of dazzling fireworks displays bringing in the new year on Thursday night, just hours after a large fire near the main site of the celebrations engulfed a 63-storey hotel.
Hundreds of thousands of spectators gathered around the site of the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, to see a massive light and firework display.
400,000 LED lights projected patterns and the giant letters “2016” off the side of the tower, amid 1.6 tons of fireworks going off in sequence.
Spectators said their spirits had not been dampened by the earlier blaze, which happened just a few hundred meters away in Dubai's glitzy downtown district at the Address hotel.
#NeedAnAddress, offering their homes and sofas.
- Video: Dubai all set for grand New Year firework show
- Fire engulfs hotel near Dubai new year fireworks
- Banned Platini could face further trouble over Dubai event
- David Guetta, Jazzy Jeff among Dubai’s top 5 New Year's Eve parties
- Dubai preps mega New Year’s Eve celebrations
- Barcelona star Messi photographed with Dubai ruler