Israel to return bodies of 23 Palestinian attackers
Israel was set to hand over the bodies of 23 Palestinians killed during recent attacks on Israelis
Israel was set Friday to hand over the bodies of 23 Palestinians killed during recent attacks on Israelis, the army said, in an apparent bid to ease tensions.
“Today, in accordance with the instructions from the government, the army is planning to return the bodies of 23 Palestinian assailants who attacked Israeli civilians and members of security forces in the last months,” a military spokeswoman told AFP.
Palestinian medical sources in Hebron said 17 bodies to be buried in the area had already been received. Six others were to be handed over in the northern West Bank.
Since a wave of violence erupted at the start of October, 138 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces, according to an AFP count, most while carrying out attacks on Israelis.
Twenty Israelis, an American and an Eritrean have also been killed in the unrest.
- Three Israelis stabbed in Jerusalem, 2 Palestinian attackers shot
- Israel opens probe into use of excessive force
- Four Israelis wounded in two West Bank attacks
- Israeli police shoot two alleged Palestinian attackers, one dead
- Israeli troops, Palestinian wounded in south Nablus ‘car attack’
- One dead, 8 wounded in West Bank gun, car attack