.
.
.
.

South Yemen officials survive bombing

Three senior south Yemeni officials survived a car bombing that targeted their convoy in the port city of Aden

Published: Updated:

Three senior south Yemeni officials survived a car bombing that targeted their convoy in the port city of Aden on Tuesday and killed two of their guards, security sources said.

Seven other guards were wounded when the bomb-laden vehicle exploded in the Inmaa district, the sources said, after previously giving a toll of one dead and eight wounded.

Newly appointed Aden Governor Aidarus al-Zubaidi, city police chief General Shallal Ali Shayae and the governor of neighboring Lahj province, Naser al-Khubaji, were travelling in the convoy.

They were returning from a visit to a camp of Emirati troops taking part in the Saudi-led coalition that has been battling Iran-backed rebels in Yemen since March, the sources said.

Aidarus was appointed in December after his predecessor, Jaafar Saad, was killed in an Aden bombing claimed by ISIS.

The assassination attempt comes after security forces arrested a local Al-Qaeda leader during a sweep targeting extremists in the southern city, security officials said.

The capture of Mohammed al-Lahji, the group’s chief in the Tawahi district, along with two of his bodyguards, sparked a gunfight overnight in which a policeman was wounded, they said.

Aden, the government’s temporary capital, has seen a growing extremist presence, with Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, long active in Yemen, and ISIS apparently vying for influence.

The government imposed a one-month night-time curfew in Aden on Monday, a day after clashes blamed on extremists killed at least 22 people, including 10 members of the security forces.