.
.
.
.

Exposed wiring likely sparked NYE fire: Dubai police

Dubai police say fire at The Address Downtown was likely caused by exposed wiring

Published: Updated:

Dubai police say a New Year's Eve fire at a luxury hotel in the Mideast commercial hub was likely caused by exposed wiring.

Police made the announcement at a news conference Wednesday.

Police officials showed photographs taken after the fire showing exposed, unconnected wiring between at least two apartments on the 14th and 15th floor of the building, known as The Address Downtown Dubai.

The New Year's Eve fire at hotel happened just hours before a fireworks display went ahead nearby at the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building.

The fire raised new worries about the use of some kinds of aluminum panel cladding on skyscrapers in Dubai and other cities around the world.