Gunmen open fire on Syria aid convoy, no casualties reported
Syria’s state news agency SANA says opposition gunmen have opened fire on aid vehicles in the besieged rebel-held town of Madaya
Syria’s state news agency SANA says opposition gunmen have opened fire on aid vehicles in the besieged rebel-held town of Madaya, near the capital Damascus, but no casualties were reported.
A SARQ official said on Wednesday that the convoy, which included vehicles from the International Committee of the Red Cross and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, was evacuating sick people from Madaya when it came under fire by unknown gunmen.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations, said the operation had been completed and people successfully evacuated.
Madaya, which has been besieged by government and allied militiamen for months, gained international attention after harrowing pictures emerged showing emaciated children and starving residents.
SANA said the shooting occurred late Tuesday night delaying operations for several hours.
- Syrian opposition talks ‘balance of power on ground’
- HRW: Russia and Syria carry out daily cluster bomb attacks
- More than 500 dead in Syria’s Aleppo offensive
- Explosives, suicide belts found on suspects at Turkey-Syria border
- Kremlin rejects Merkel's criticism of Russia over Syria bombings
- Chechen strongman claims Russian spies in Syria to infiltrate ISIS
- Lavrov: U.S. mulls Russian proposal on Syria
- Syria air strike hits MSF-supported hospital, 3 dead: statement
- Al Arabiya airs interview with Hezbollah detainees
- U.S. Air Force veteran accused of ISIS support faces trial