Saudi’s decision to send troops in Syria ‘final’
Brig. Gen. Ahmed Al-Assiri vowed that Riyadh is ‘ready’ and will fight with its U.S.-led coalition allies to defeat ISIS militants in Syria
Saudi’s decision to send troops to Syria in an attempt to bolster and toughen efforts against militants is “final” and “irreversible,” the Saudi military spokesman announced on Thursday.
Brig. Gen. Ahmed Al-Assiri, said that Riyadh is “ready” and will fight with its U.S.-led coalition allies to defeat ISIS militants in Syria, however, he said Washington is more suitable to answer questions on further details about any future ground operations.
“We are representing Saudi’s [decision] only” in sending troops, he said.
He also sent a message to Iran, saying that if Tehran is serious in fighting ISIS, then it must stop supporting “terrorism” in Syria or Yemen.
Riyadh has long accused Tehran of supporting the Houthi militia in Yemen against the internationally-recognized government there. Iran is also a key ally to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime.
The statement comes as Saudi Arabia’s Deputy Crown Prince and Defense Minister Mohammed bin Salman visited NATO headquarters in Brussels to discuss the Syrian civil war.
The military spokesman also said that the Islamic Military Alliance will take effect within two months.
Thirty-five Muslim countries released a joint statement announcing the formation of the alliance against terrorism in December last year.
The alliance’s joint command center is located in the Saudi capital Riyadh.
-
1800GMT: Saudi ready for ground operations in Syria
News Bulletins -
Saudi: Ready to join ground operation in Syria
The White House said on Friday it welcomed Saudi Arabia’s announcement that it was prepared to ramp up its commitment to ISIS Home Page -
U.S. welcomes Saudi anti-ISIS troop proposal
Spokesman for Saudi Arabia’s military said the country was ready to join any ground operation in Syria if required Middle East -
Saudi boots on the ground in Syria?
Saudi Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri, official spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, has made an interesting statement about Riyadh&rsquo ... Middle East -
U.S., Saudi push ceasefire ahead of Syria talks
The United States and Saudi Arabia will push for an immediate ceasefire in Syria at international talks later this week Home Page -
Saudi says ready to send forces to Syria if coalition decides
Saudi Arabia would be willing to commit its special forces to Syria should the international coalition decide to deploy ground troops against ISIS, ... Reports -
Saudi’s decision to send troops in Syria ‘final’
Brig. Gen. Ahmed Al-Assiri vowed that Riyadh is ‘ready’ and will fight with its U.S.-led coalition allies to defeat ISIS militants in Syria Middle East