Riyadh confirms military aid halt to Lebanon
Saudi Arabia said it will continue to support Lebanese people from all sects despite confirming the halt of military aid to Lebanon
Saudi Arabia on Monday reaffirmed its support to the Lebanese people, despite confirming the suspension of a $3 billion military aid package to Lebanon.
In a statement, made during a cabinet session chaired by Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz, the council ministers said the suspension was a response to Beirut’s “non-condemnation of the flagrant attacks on the Kingdom’s Embassy in Tehran and Consulate General in Mashhad.”
The cabinet also denounced Lebanese militant group Hezbollah’s “practices of terrorism against Arab and Islamic nations.”
The statement said Saudi Arabia’s constant “support and assistance” to Lebanon had been met with “unjustified” Lebanese positions.
However, it said Saudi Arabia would continue to support Lebanese people from all sects, and expressed appreciation of the solidarity shown toward the kingdom by some Lebanese officials and figures, including Prime Minister Tammam Salam.