Palestinian tries to stab Israeli soldiers, shot dead: army
The Palestinian authorities did not immediately announce the identity of the attacker
A Palestinian tried to stab Israeli soldiers on Friday at a checkpoint near Ramallah in the occupied West Bank and was shot dead, the army said.
The army “thwarted the attack, firing towards the assailant, resulting in his death,” it said in a statement.
The Palestinian authorities did not immediately announce the identity of the attacker.
Israeli media said the attack took place near the Beit El settlement outside Ramallah.
A wave of Palestinian knife, gun and car-ramming assaults that erupted in October has claimed the lives of 28 Israelis, as well as an American, a Sudanese and an Eritrean.
The violence has also seen 177 Palestinians killed by Israeli forces, most while carrying out attacks but others during clashes and demonstrations.
- Israel cooperation puts Palestinian forces in a tough spot
- Will Hamas, Israel fight again this year?
- Surrounding Israel with fences is Netanyahu’s new trump card
- Israel extends Jewish extremist’s detention without trial
- Arab Israeli professor breaks barriers at home and abroad
- Israel razes Palestinian homes in the West Bank
- Academy sues over $200,000 so-called Oscar gift bags
- Britain bans public-sector boycotts of Israeli suppliers
- Israel army chief warns troops to use only ‘necessary’ force