Saudi FM reiterates: Assad must go at start of transitional process
The Saudi foreign minister said Saturday that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad must go at the start of a transitional political process and not at its end
The Saudi foreign minister said Saturday that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad must go at the start of a transitional political process and not at its end, Al Arabiya News Channel reported.
It is not the first time Adel al-Jubeir stressed that Assad must cede power. He had also previously urged for the implementation of Geneva I peace communique, drawn up at an international conference in 2012 in the Swiss city.
While the communique does not mention Assad’s role in Syria, Damascus grudgingly accepted the principles of the document as it endorses political transition.
A UN-brokered international roadmap foresees a transitional authority by the middle of this year and elections by mid-2017.
“Assad has to leave at the beginning of the process,” the Saudi minister, whose country backs the Syrian opposition, told reporters in Paris. Referring to the sequence of events, he said: “There is a transitional body, power shifts from Assad to the transitional body, and then he goes.”
After that “the transitional body drafts a constitution, prepares for elections. Some are arguing that no, Bashar leaves at the elections in 18 months, that’s not how we think.
“For us it is very clear, he leaves at the beginning of the process, not at the end.”
Syria peace talks set for March 9 will begin the following day with participants due to arrive in Geneva over several days, UN envoy Staffan de Mistura said earlier Saturday.
A first round of talks in early February was cut short amid intensifying Russian air strikes in Syria in support of Assad's forces.
But a fragile ceasefire drawn up by Russia and the United States and backed by the UN Security Council that entered into force on February 27 is now in its second week, despite accusations of violations.
The Saudi minister said there was no possibility that Assad could remain in power.
“The Syrian people have spoken when they took up arms against Bashar al-Assad and their message is very very clear: he is not going to be their president... they have already decided with their feet, with their guns,” he said.
Discussing Syrian opposition reluctance to travel to Geneva to resume peace talks, he admitted that “they can't go into talks empty-handed.”
Syria’s main opposition leader Riad Hijab said Friday that conditions were not yet right for talks to resume, stressing shortfalls in humanitarian aid and breaches of the ceasefire implemented a week ago.
“Our position is to support them 200 percent,” said Jubeir. “We don’t question. We may advise, express our views to them, but we support them,” he added.
Jubeir made his announcement after the Saudi Crown Prince Mohamed bin Nayef ended his visit in France. The crown prince had met with French President Francois Hollande on Friday to discuss “anti-terrorism” efforts and ways to boost security cooperation between the two countries.
- Al-Jubeir: Claiming ‘Daesh’ is Islamic has nothing to do with reality
- Saudi FM says removal of Assad is crucial
- Deploying Saudi troops up to U.S. coalition: FM
- Jubeir: Priority of any Syria ground op must be ISIS
- Jubeir: Saudi Arabia will not cut oil production
- Saudi FM: No plans for Iran mediation
- Saudi, Turkey back Syrian opposition irrespective of talks