Yemen: There is consensus on ceasefire draft
Yemen’s FM says there is a consensus over a final draft agreement to implement ceasefire
There is a consensus over a final draft agreement to implement ceasefire in Yemen, the country’s Foreign Affairs Minister Abdul Malek Mekhlafi told the Arabic language website of Al Arabiya News Channel.
Mekhlafi said the experiment to implement ceasefire will begin in the southwestern city of Taiz and then it will be extended to other provinces.
The Iran-backed Houthi militia group is currently laying siege to Taiz, the country’s third largest city, and surrounding areas. Some 200,000 civilians in Taiz are caught up in the fighting.
Since March last year, a Saudi-led Arab Coalition has bombed Iranian-backed Houthi militias and forces allied to deposed leader Ali Abdullah Saleh, in a bid to put the government of internationally recognized President Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi back in power.
Mekhlafi had previously said that the Yemeni government will not accept any conditions set by the Houthis during the upcoming Kuwait negotiations which are expected to last for at least one week.
UN-sponsored peace talks are scheduled to start in Kuwait on April 18. The two sides have confirmed a truce starting at midnight on April 10 ahead of the peace talks.
Meanwhile, massive military reinforcements have arrived in the Nihm District east of Sanaa. This comes within the context of preparations for a battle to restore Sanaa in case the Kuwait talks fail.
Shelling from Yemen hits Saudi border villageLast week, Saudi Arabia and Yemen’s Houthi militia group agreed to a border “calm” and prisoner swap Middle East
Five Qaeda suspects in Yemen killed in Saudi-led strikesAn abandoned army weapons factory in Jaar which the militants had taken over was also hit Middle East
Exclusive: Saudi soldiers released from Yemen speakThe Saudi soldiers, who were released in an exchange deal carried out recently on the Saudi border against one hundred eighty nine Yemenis, confirmed ... Reports
Saudi Arabia ‘sees progress’ in ending Yemen warPrince Mohammed Bin Salman said there has been "significant progress" in talks between the warring sides of the year-long conflict Middle East
Cross-border shelling from Yemen kills two in SaudiThe incident is a rare breach of a calm in the border area agreed with Iran-backed militias early last month Middle East
Saudi-led operations in Yemen ‘coming to an end’Brig. Gen. Ahmed al-Asiri said that major military combats were coming to a close and that the next phase is reconstruction Middle East
Kerry holds talks on Syria, Yemen in Saudi ArabiaAlso joining the talks were Emirati Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahyan at the northeastern King Khalid Military City base Middle East