.
.
.
.

Iran says it imprisoned culprits behind Saudi embassy attack

Iran’s minister of culture Ali Jannati said that the ‘perpetrators who stormed the Saudi embassy… were arrested and are now in prison’

Published: Updated:

Iran has imprisoned the perpetrators who stormed the Saudi embassy in the capital Tehran in early January, according to an Iranian minister.

The attack has led the kingdom to cut ties with the Islamic republic.

Iran’s minister of culture Ali Jannati said that the “perpetrators who stormed the Saudi embassy… were arrested and are now in prison,” according to semi-official Fars News. The report did not name the identities or number of people detained over the attack.

The minister added that “Tehran wants to find reasonable and balanced relations based on multilateral cooperation with the countries of the region.”

The minister did not reveal the identity or the number of the culprits behind the attack on the Saudi embassy in Tehran, but he stressed that “this attack has been condemned by all officials within the Iranian establishment and the Iranian regime will hold accountable all sides involved in this incident.”

The culture minister’s remarks appear to contradict an announcement by attorney general in March, which said that all 154 people detained after the attack had been released.

The attorney general said on April 10 that “there were no detainees in the Saudi embassy incident, but the indictment included 48 accused,” without announcing any specific judicial proceedings.

The government of moderate President Hassan Rowhani - who said that damage to Saudi’s diplomatic post was “by no means justifiable - is seeking to save Iran from regional isolation after the Arab world’s broad condemnation of the attacks.


This article was first published on the Arabic website of Al Arabiya News Channel on April 30, 2016.