Saudi forces foil 'terror' plot, suspects killed
Saudi authorities foiled a car bombing attempt in a shoot-out that killed two suspects
Saudi authorities foiled a car bombing attempt in a shoot-out that killed two suspects on Friday, the interior ministry said, after a small bomb wounded a policeman elsewhere.
ISIS had previously claimed deadly shootings and bombings against security forces in the kingdom, where dozens were also killed in a wave of attacks by Al-Qaeda between 2003 and 2006.
Security forces foiled “a terrorist act” on Friday after closely monitoring two cars in the southwestern region of Aseer. One of the vehicles was carrying explosives, an interior ministry spokesman said in a statement.
Their drivers, aware that they were being followed, opened fire at security forces, prompting a car chase, the source said.
Security aircraft intervened and the suspects pulled over in a desert area as both sides traded fire. forcing the drivers to leave their cars and seek cover before the bombs in one car exploded, the spokesman added.
Both suspects were killed in the shoot-out that followed despite calls for them to surrender, the source said, adding that there were no casualties among the security forces.
Investigations are ongoing to identify the two men, the source said.
Friday’s announcement came a day after a small bomb exploded outside a highway patrol station in eastern Saudi Arabia, injuring a policeman, official media reported.
The late Thursday attack happened in the Al-Ahsa region, the Saudi Press Agency said, citing a provincial police spokesman.
One member of the police force received “a minor injury” and five vehicles were damaged, the spokesman added.
“Authorities started criminal investigations,” he added.
Most of Saudi Arabia’s minority Shiites live in the kingdom’s Eastern Province which includes Al-Ahsa, an oasis region where much of the Gulf country’s oil reserves are located.
- Saudi defense minister and US counterpart affirm security ties
- Saudi security officer shot dead in attack claimed by ISIS
- ISIS woman killed recently in Saudi shrouded in mystery
- Saudi jets to arrive in Turkey to strike ISIS
- Airstrike kills Saudi woman who joined ISIS in Syria
- Saudi took part in weekend air strikes against ISIS
- Saudi Arabia confirms sending jets to Turkey
- U.S. sees Saudi Arabia and UAE providing commandos for Syria
- Turkey, Saudi could launch anti-ISIS ground operation in Syria: Ankara
- Why is Saudi crucial in the fight against ISIS in Syria?