Iran hopes Saudi embassy attack trial will restore confidence
‘Every country is responsible for the security of its foreign embassies,’ Rowhani said in a speech
Iranian President Hassan Rowhani said Tuesday that he hopes the trial of protesters accused of ransacking the Saudi embassy in Tehran earlier this year will restore international confidence.
“Every country is responsible for the security of its foreign embassies,” Rowhani said in a speech to mark a week of events on justice in Iran.
“People want to know how a bunch of rogue individuals who attacked a foreign embassy in breach of the law and against the country’s public security... will be dealt with by the judiciary,” he said.
The trial of 48 people is due to open in Tehran on July 18.
The Saudi embassy and its consulate in Iran’s second city Mashhad were stormed and burned on Jan. 2 in protest against the execution of a Saudi citizen.
The Gulf kingdom and some of its allies the next day severed diplomatic relations with Iran.
Rowhani said a “transparent” judiciary was needed to ensure “people’s trust as well as the world’s trust in our country.”
Earlier this month, Iran’s judiciary spokesman repeated that his country “intends to prosecute” those who were involved in the January attack on the Saudi embassy in Tehran, but not now.
The accused are going to be tried on July 18th in Branch 1060 of Tehran’s 2nd Criminal Courr, Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejeitold the private Tasnim News Agency.
He revealed that no one was held captive in this case “No one, among the case proceeded by the Ministry of Justice, and there is no one in custody and all were released on bail.”
According to Tasnim, Iran’s judiciary spokesman confirmed that lawsuits have been filed against 48 people in this case, 3 or 4 of which will be addressed by the Special Court for Clerics.
Tehran is still manipulating the trial of those who attacked the Saudi embassy six months after the incident. The Iranian Minister of Culture, Ali Jannati, announced on April 30th that all those who were involved in the incident were detained, but then the plaintiff has quickly dismissed the news.
Informed Iranian sources revealed to “Saham News,” site that is close to reformist leader Mehdi Karoubi, the identity of other perpetrators who attacked the embassy, confirming that they were militias belonging to what is known in Iran as “Iranian Hezbollah” formed by Basij members affiliated to the Iranian Revolutionary Guards.
- Saudi embassy in Baghdad receives multiple threats
- Saudi mother’s Cairo journey ends tragically as EgyptAir crashes
- Photo of ISIS slogan projected on Saudi Embassy is fake
- Be vigilant, Saudi tourists visiting foreign countries warned
- Saudi FM says Russia ‘ready’ to heal rift between Gulf states, Iran
- Iran claims Saudi embassy attackers to go on trial in July
- Panorama: Iran funding campaigns against Saudi embassy in Iraq