Istanbul airport attack toll rises to 45
The death of a Jordanian child brought the toll from this week’s Istanbul airport attack to 45, media reported Saturday
The death of a Jordanian child brought the toll from this week’s Istanbul airport attack to 45, media reported Saturday, as a scare sparked fresh jitters in Turkey's biggest city.
Ankara has pointed blame at ISIS for Tuesday’s gun and suicide bomb rampage at Ataturk international airport.
Dogan news agency reported that four-year-old Jordanian national Rayyan Mohammed, one of more than 200 people injured in the attacks, had died in hospital.
The governorate said 184 airport victims have been discharged from hospitals so far, including 13 people released Saturday. It said 20 people were still in intensive care.
Three militants armed with assault rifles and suicide bombs attacked one of the world’s busiest airports on Tuesday night. Although no one has claimed responsibility for the attack, Turkish officials say they believe it was the work of ISIS.
Turkish authorities have detained at least 24 people in raids in several Istanbul neighborhoods over possible connections to the attack. Seventeen other people were detained in the province of Gaziantep, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
The four-year-old child’s death came as a man sparked chaos by shouting “Suicide bomber” in a crowded Istanbul market on Saturday, with the city still reeling from the attacks.
One woman was slightly injured in the panic in Umraniye, a working-class neighborhood on Istanbul’s Asian side. Police were called to the scene.
The airport carnage was the latest in a string of deadly attacks to hit Turkey in the past year blamed on either ISIS or Kurdish rebels. There has been no claim of responsibility, but officials and analysts say the evidence points to an ISIS strike.
“It is clear that this was Daesh,” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said late Friday, using another name for ISIS. “Their place is in hell,” he added.
Authorities have said they believe the three attackers were a Russian, an Uzbek and a Kyrgyz national. Anadolu named two of them Friday as Rakim Bulgarov and Vadim Osmanov, without giving their nationalities.
Central Asia’s former Soviet republics have been a major source of foreign militants travelling to fight with ISIS and other extremist groups in Iraq and Syria.
Turkish media have identified a Chechen, Akhmed Chatayev, as the mastermind of the attacks, describing him as the head of an IS cell in Istanbul.
He is accused of planning two bombings in the city earlier this year in the Sultanahmet tourist district and the Istiklal shopping street, both of which killed foreigners.
(With AFP, AP and Reuters)