Italy extracts 217 bodies from hull of sunken migrant ship
Italian authorities raised the ship from the seabed last week and have been working to remove and identify the bodies ever since
Italian navy officials say they have recovered 217 bodies from the hull of a migrant ship that sank off Libya last year in a tragedy that sparked the EU to beef up Mediterranean rescue operations.
Italian authorities raised the ship from the seabed last week and have been working to remove and identify the bodies ever since. In a statement Thursday, the navy said 52 autopsies had been performed on the 217 bodies pulled out so far.
Some of the 28 survivors of the April 18, 2015 wreck had said as many as 700-800 people were aboard, leading officials to label it one of the worst known tragedies of the Mediterranean migrant crisis.
Around 200 bodies were initially recovered; after officials saw the ship’s dimensions, they suggested about 300 remained.
Italy says over 1,300 migrants rescued at seaAlmost 50,000 migrants have come ashore in Italy this year, about 10 percent less than the same period last year Middle East
A migrant who survived a shipwreck has drowned in an Italy lakeHis body was recovered over two hours later by divers with the fire service Features
Italy: 5600 migrants rescued off Libya in 48 hoursAnother 3,000 migrants were rescued from stricken boats in waters off Libya on Tuesday World News
Italian coastguard rescues 801 boat migrants, many from SyriaItaly's coastguard said it helped rescue 801 migrants from two boats off western Sicily on Thursday, including many Syrians Middle East