Israel announces $12.9mln boost to West Bank settlements
Netanyahu says his govt will fund a $12.9 mln plan to strengthen two Israeli settlements in the southern West Bank
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his government will fund a $12.9 million plan to strengthen two Israeli settlements in the southern West Bank.
Netanyahu said Sunday that funding will go to Kiryat Arba and to Israeli settlers in the adjacent Palestinian city of Hebron. The announcement came after a Palestinian fatally stabbed a 13-year-old Israeli in her bed in Kiryat Arba in late June.
Since September, Palestinians have killed 34 Israelis in dozens of attacks. At least 200 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire in the same period. Israel says most were assailants.
Last week Netanyahu authorized hundreds of new homes for Israelis in the West Bank and east Jerusalem as a response to Palestinian violence.
Palestinians say Israeli settlement construction is an obstacle to peace.
Israel approves 560 new homes in West Bank settlementThe decision follows calls among Israelis for a harsh response to a series of Palestinian attacks Middle East
Palestinian kills Israeli, wounds family in West Bank attackThe tough Israeli action followed a deadly spike in Palestinian violence, with several attacks in two days Middle East
Israel cuts Palestinian tax transfersAides to Netanyahu described the move as a response to the killing of two Israelis in Palestinian attacks in the West Bank this week Middle East
Palestinian woman shot dead after stabbing attemptA Palestinian woman attempted to stab Israeli border police guards at a flashpoint West Bank shrine on Friday and was shot dead Middle East