Saudi finance ministry reveals new information on Makkah crane crash
The ministry said it had stopped making any payments for using the crane, 10 months before its crash
The Saudi Ministry of Finance had presented a report to the Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution (BIP) on the Makkah crane crash, Okaz Arabic daily has learned.
In the report, the Ministry of Finance absolved itself of any responsibility for the safety of the crane. The ministry said it had stopped making any payments for using the crane, 10 months before its crash. The ministry said it presented what confirms its demand to remove the crane from its location, as it was of no use or benefit to the project.
The BIP had interrogated an engineer at the Ministry of Finance thrice. A Jeddah court had held its first session last week on the crane crash case.
In the investigations, the above mentioned engineer said that the crane that crashed had been placed at the site on Dec. 12, 2012. Payment for using the crane had been stopped on Nov. 1, 2014 (8/1/1436H), according to the report of the consultant and cost supervisor because operation of the crane was not included in the cost being paid.
He disclosed that he had sent a letter before Ramadan 1436H to Binladin Group to remove the crane from its location so as to secure the biggest possible area for worshipers. The person in charge in the company said he would remove the crane within 15 days, but he did not.
This article was first published by the Saudi Gazette on Aug. 16, 2016.