US strikes in Yemen kill 13 al-Qaeda militants
All three of the strikes against the al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula targets were conducted in central Yemen’s Shabwah Governorate
The United States killed 13 al-Qaeda operatives in three counterterrorism strikes in Yemen from Aug. 24 to Sept. 4, the US military said on Tuesday.
All three of the strikes against the al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula targets were conducted in central Yemen’s Shabwah Governorate, US Central Command said in a statement. It did not specify how the strikes were carried out or the identities of those killed.
Late last month, a presumed US drone strike in southern Yemen killed three al-Qaeda suspects, a security official and a tribal source said.
The strike hit a vehicle carrying the three alleged militants in the eastern suburbs of Ataq, the capital of Shabwa province, the official said.
Two of the suspects who were injured in the attack later succumbed to their wounds, a tribal source said, raising an earlier toll of one killed.
The United States has carried out numerous drone strikes against al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) operatives in Yemen.
American officials said this month that the US military had killed three AQAP fighters in a strike, also in Shabwa.