US: Drone strikes in Yemen killed 4 Qaeda members
The first attack occurred on September 20 in Marib while the second attack, on September 22, was carried out in central Baida province
The United States said Wednesday it conducted drone strikes against al-Qaeda in Yemen last week, killing four members of the terror group. The first attack occurred on September 20 in Marib province and left two al-Qaeda operatives dead, the military’s central command for the Middle East said in a statement.
The second attack, on September 22 in central Baida province, killed two al-Qaeda members, it said. The two drone strikes had been reported by Yemeni security officials but this was the first time the United States claimed them.
“These were al-Qaeda operatives who continue to support their organization's destabilizing effects in Yemen,” said Army Major Josh Jacques, US Central Command spokesman, in the statement. “US Central Command continues to protect the US, its allies and partners from these threats by denying Yemen as a haven for AQAP.”
A third lethal drone strike last week was reported by Yemeni security officials. The attack happened Friday in Marib province and killed a local al-Qaeda commander and four of his guards, they said. The United States has not claimed that attack.
3 Al-Qaeda suspects killed in drone strike in YemenYemeni security officials say a suspected US drone has struck a car traveling in eastern Yemen Middle East
Drone strike kills three Qaeda suspects in YemenA missile destroyed a vehicle which the three suspects were using in the region of Sawmaa in central Baida province Middle East
Drone strike kills seven Qaeda suspects in YemenA Saudi-led Arab military coalition that backs the Yemeni government has also turned its sights on AQAP, targeting it with air strikes Middle East
Drone strike kills 3 Qaeda suspects in YemenThe US has carried out numerous drone strikes against Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula operatives in Yemen Middle East