US condemns Houthi militia’s unprovoked attack
Arab coalition forces have launched operations against militia boats of Yemen’s Houthi militia that struck a civilian logistics ship
The United States has strongly condemned the Houthi militias’ unprovoked attack against a UAE vessel operating near the Bab al-Mandeb on Sunday, adding that the United States “remains committed to upholding freedom of navigation” through the strait.
“These provocative actions risk exacerbating the current conflict and narrow the prospects for a peaceful settlement,” State Department spokesman John Kirby said in a statement, calling on all parties to return to UN negotiations aimed at de-escalating tensions in the conflict.
Hundreds of Emirati soldiers in an Arab alliance have been fighting Yemen’s Iran-allied Houthis, and training Yemeni troops in Aden to help rebuild a state loyal to exiled President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi. In 2013, more than 3.4 million barrels of oil a day passed through the 20-km (12-mile) wide Bab al-Mandab strait, according to the US Energy Information Administration.
“We take these threats seriously. The United States remains committed to upholding freedom of navigation through the Bab al-Mandeb. We call on the Houthi-Saleh groups to immediately cease attacks against all vessels. These provocative actions risk exacerbating the current conflict and narrow the prospects for a peaceful settlement,” the statement read.
“Resolution to the conflict in Yemen must focus on a political solution and we urge the Houthi-Saleh groups to demonstrate their commitment to a peaceful solution by taking steps to deescalate by adhering to a cessation of hostilities without preconditions and we continue to call on all parties to return to the negotiations being facilitated by the United Nations.”
It was earlier reported that the Arab coalition forces have launched operations against Yemen’s Houthi militia that struck a civilian logistics ship on a humanitarian voyage in a strategic Red Sea shipping lane, the Saudi-led alliance said. The vessel, an Australian-built high-speed logistics catamaran under lease to the United Arab Emirates military, was attacked by Houthi fighters near the Bab al-Mandab strait off Yemen’s southern coast on Saturday. The coalition rescued its civilian passengers. No crew were hurt.
In a statement late on Saturday, the coalition said the vessel belonged to the UAE Marine Dredging Company “on its usual route to and from Aden to transfer relief and medical aid and evacuate wounded civilians to complete their treatment outside Yemen.” The coalition said the incident showed that Houthi tactics involved what it called “terrorist attacks” against civilian international navigation in the waterway. The Houthis said on Saturday, however, that their forces had destroyed a UAE military vessel that was advancing toward the Red Sea port of Al-Mokha.
“Armed forces destroyed with a missile a military vessel belonging to the forces of the UAE,” a military official was quoted as saying by the Saba Yemeni news agency, run by the dominant Houthi movement since it seized the capital, Sanaa, last year.
Deadly explosion targets residential area in AdenA suicide bomber targeted a residential area in Aden, killing at least one ... Middle East
Yemen’s government makes final Aden returnYemen’s government lead by Prime Minister Ahmed Obeid bin Daghr has left the Saudi ... Middle East
‘Disturbed’ father of bride kills 12 at Yemen weddingThe "mentally disturbed" father of the bride hurled two grenades, killing eight ... Variety
US: Drone strikes in Yemen killed 4 Qaeda membersThe first attack occurred on September 20 in Marib while the second attack, on ... Middle East