Peshmerga say ISIS offensive blocked in Sinjar, west of Mosul
ISIS committed some of its worst atrocities in Sinjar when it swept through the Yazidi region two years ago
US-backed Kurdish fighters blocked an offensive launched by ISIS on Monday in Sinjar, a Yazidi territory west of Mosul, a provincial official in the region said.
The attack was an apparent bid to distract Iraqi forces attacking Mosul, ISIS’s last major city stronghold in Iraq.
ISIS confirmed in an online statement having carried out a suicide attack on a peshmerga position at the western entrance of Sinjar.
“It was the most violent attack on Sinjar since a year ago,” Yazidi provincial chief Mahma Xelil told Reuters.
ISIS committed some of its worst atrocities in Sinjar when it swept through the Yazidi region two years ago, killing men, kidnapping children and enslaving women. Kurdish fighters took back the region a year ago.
Iraqis find three more mass graves in formerly ISIS-held SinjarThree mass graves have been found in the northern town of Sinjar, where Kurdish forces drove out Islamic State militants Middle East
Bomb-rigged mass grave of ISIS’s victims found in IraqIt is the sixth mass grave discovered in or near the town of Sinjar since it was recaptured from ISIS militants earlier this month Middle East
Under Iraq’s Sinjar, ISIS militants built network of tunnelsThe Associated Press obtained extensive video footage of the tunnels, which were uncovered by Kurdish forces that took back the city Features
Biden and Barzani discuss Sinjar battle in northern IraqU.S. Vice President Joe Biden spoke with Iraqi Kurdish regional President Massoud Barzani about Kurdish forces’ seizing Iraqi town of Sinjar from ISIS World News