Qatar rejects Cairo cathedral bombing involvement claim
Official says one of the suspects behind the attack visited the country in December last year on a visit visa
Qatar’s ministry of foreign affairs rejected claims on Tuesday that the country was involved in the Cairo Coptic cathedral bombing based purely on the premise that one of the suspects paid a visit to the country in 2015, the state news agency reported.
Mohab Moustafa el-Sayed Kassem, who is said to be among those suspected to be behind the attack, that killed 25 and wounded dozens, visited Qatar in December last year on a visit visa in accordance to the legal procedures of the country, director of the information office at the ministry, Ahmed al-Rumaihi, said.
The suspect left Qatar to head back to Cairo on December 1, 2016. Qatari authorities also said they have not received any requests from Egyptian security forces or the Arab and international criminal police department to detain the suspect or prevent him from entering Qatar.
Rumaihi said that dragging Qatar under any pretense to cover up for the failures of law enforcement authorities in Egypt does not help in strengthening ties between the two countries.