ISIS says man shot in Milan was Berlin attacker
Amri had been missing since escaping after Monday’s attack which left 12 people dead
The ISIS said that the man shot dead by Italian police near Milan on Friday carried out the deadly truck attack on a Berlin Christmas market.
“The Berlin attacker carried out a new attack against an Italian police patrol in Milan and was killed in an exchange of fire,” the ISIS-linked Amaq agency said, in a reference to the fatal shooting of Anis Amri, the prime suspect in the Berlin attack, by Italian police.
The Tunisian man was shot dead by police in Milan Friday, Italian media reported, citing security sources. Italy’s interior minister Marco Minniti has announced a press conference for 10.45 am (0945 GMT).
According to the reports, the suspect, Anis Amri, was stopped in his car around 3am for what was a routine identity check. He pulled out a pistol and shootout ensued in which he was shot.
Amri had been missing since escaping after Monday’s attack which left 12 people dead. He had links to Italy, having arrived in the country from his native Tunisia in 2011. Shortly after his arrival he was sentenced to a prison term for starting a fire in a refugee center. He was released in 2015 and made his way to Germany.
Meanwhile, German Federal Prosecutor meanwhile said investigation into the Berlin truck attack will continue to determine if suspect had any accomplices.