Arab League chief Ahmed Abu Gheit warned on Saturday against a “dangerous escalation” in Syria after a US missile strike on a Syrian airbase following an alleged regime chemical attack.
“The Arab League rejects regional and international powers’ attempts to politick over the corpses of Syrians or at the cost of its sovereignty,” he told reporters.
“Therefore we demand that all should retreat from this dangerous escalation we are monitoring,” said the secretary general of the 22-member Arab bloc based in Cairo.
Abul Gheit condemned the chemical attack, for which the regime has denied
- UK’s Johnson cancels Moscow visit after Syria gas attack
- US President Donald Trump briefs Saudi King Salman on Syria strikes
- Gulf Cooperation Council expresses support for US air strikes on Syria
- Turkey welcomes US Syria strike, calls it ‘positive’ but not enough
- US prepared to do more in Syria, hopes not necessary: UN envoy