The Gaza Health Ministry says a Palestinian was killed by Israeli fire at a protest near the border fence with the territory ruled by the Islamic militant group Hamas.
It said Aeid Jomaa, 35, was killed and six others wounded on Friday.
The Israeli military said Palestinians rolled burning tires and hurled rocks at soldiers stationed on the border. It said in the "violent riot," Palestinians tried to damage the fence and that soldiers opened fire when the protestors ignored calls and warning shots to stop.
For weeks, Palestinians have rallied at the border fence after activists affiliated with Hamas called for protests there.
Israel and Egypt, citing security concerns, enforced a blockade on Gaza a decade ago when Hamas took over the territory from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
- Hundreds of Palestinian prisoners in Israel halt hunger strike
- Palestinian prisoners’ stomachs are rumbling, but is anyone listening?
- Palestinian power struggle threatens further Gaza power cuts
- Palestinian woman shot after stabbing Israeli soldier
- Palestinians pour into Jerusalem for Ramadan prayers