Israel has struck a Syrian army position in the southern area of Quneitra on Wednesday in retaliation to stray mortar fire that hit the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, the Israeli army and a pro-Syrian government social media account reported.
“In response to the projectile launched from Syria towards Israel, the Israel Defense Forces targeted the Syrian military position that fired the mortar,” the Israeli army said on Twitter.
The mortar fire was the latest of occasional incidents of spillover of fighting in Syria into the Israeli-held Golan.
No casualties were reported. It was the second such incident in 24 hours in Quneitra.
- US says it saw preparations for possible Syria chemical attack
- Iran ranks third in global human trafficking after Syria, Russia
- At least 30 civilians dead in air strikes on ISIS-held area of Syria
- Russia: Will respond ‘in proportion’ if US mounts Syria strike
- US-backed SDF sees big risk of clash with Turkey in northwest Syria