The bodies of 21 Egyptian Christians killed by ISIS in its former Libyan stronghold of Sirte have been recovered, the attorney general’s office said on Friday.
The bodies were found in the same orange jumpsuits the victims were wearing when they were filmed being killed in the coastal city in February 2015, according to a statement provided to Libya’s Al-Ahrar TV channel.
Sadiq al-Sour, the head of investigations for the attorney general’s office, said last week that the area where the bodies were buried had been identified after a captured commander gave details of its whereabouts.
ISIS took control of Sirte in 2015 and lost the city late last year to local forces backed by US air strikes.
Egypt accuses Qatar of funding terrorists in Libya at the UN Security CouncilEgypt urged the UN Security Council to document repeated violations by some countries, especially Qatar, of the sanctions imposed on Libya. The ... Gulf
Egypt launches fresh airstrikes on militia sites in Libya’s DernaEgypt and Libya launched renewed raids, at dawn on Monday, targeting sites at al-Qaeda’s Shura Council of Mujahideen in the Libyan city of Derna ... Middle East
Egypt cites ‘self-defense’ for Libya strikes to UN Security CouncilEgypt officially notified the UN Security Council of its air strikes on extremist strongholds in Libya on Saturday, citing Article 51 of the UN ... Middle East
Egypt retaliates with strikes at militant locations in LibyaEgyptian air strikes targeted locations of the Shura Council of Mujahideen in the Libyan city of Derna, Al Arabiya sources reported. Casualties were ... Middle East