Syrian ISIS fighters are set to abandon Raqqa in a withdrawal agreed with US-backed Syrian militias that have them surrounded, a militia spokesman said on Saturday, as the extremist’ defeat in their former Syrian capital edged closer.
Officials gave conflicting accounts on whether foreign fighters would also be leaving the city, where the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have been battling to defeat ISIS since June.
SDF spokesman Talal Silo said the foreign fighters would be left behind “to surrender or die”, without saying when the evacuation of Syrian fighters would take place.
But Omar Alloush, a member of Raqqa’s Civil Council, said the evacuation would include foreign fighters. He said it would take place overnight into Sunday. The extremists would be taking some 400 civilians with them as human shields, he said.
The final defeat of ISIS at Raqqa would be a milestone in efforts to roll back the theocratic “caliphate” the group declared in 2014 in Syria and Iraq, where earlier this year it was driven from the city of Mosul.
ISIS used Raqqa as a base to plan attacks against the West.
The Kurdish YPG militia, which dominates the SDF, told Reuters earlier on Saturday that ISIS was on the verge of defeat in Raqqa, and the city may finally be cleared of the extremists on Saturday or Sunday.
The US-led coalition against ISIS said a convoy was due to leave Raqqa on Saturday, in an arrangement agreed by local parties. It described the arrangement as “a civilian evacuation” and said it would not condone any arrangement that allowed “terrorists to escape Raqqa without facing justice”.
Coalition spokesman Col. Ryan Dillon said the coalition’s stance was that ISIS fighters must surrender unconditionally, but added that he could not comment on who would be in the convoy. He said difficult fighting was expected in the days ahead.
The coalition statement said the arrangement brokered by the Raqqa Civil Council and local Arab tribal elders on Oct. 12 was “designed to minimize civilian casualties and purportedly excludes foreign Daesh terrorists”.
The coalition believed the arrangement would “save innocent lives and allow Syrian Democratic Forces and the coalition to focus on defeating Daesh terrorists in Raqqa with less risk of civilian casualties”, it said.
Tribal leaders from Raqqa said the SDF had agreed to allow safe passage out of the city for Syrian ISIS fighters still inside, and they were organizing a “mechanism” for them to leave.
Its statement made no mention of the fate of ISIS’s foreign extremists, but said the remaining fighters in the city were only “a small number besieged in one or more positions in the city, who have no choice but surrender or death”.
Alloush earlier told Reuters that the ISIS fighters would go to remaining territory held by the group in Syria.
Russian forces kill 120 ISIS fighters, over 60 ‘foreign mercenaries’ in SyriaSome 120 ISIS fighters and 60 foreign mercenaries were killed in a series of Russian air strikes in Syria over the past 24 hours, the defense ministry ... Middle East
US official: No negotiated pullout for ISIS from Syria’s RaqqaThe US-led coalition battling ISIS said on Wednesday that it won’t accept a negotiated withdrawal for hundreds of ISIS militants holed up in the ... Middle East
Libyan army: Qatar transports armed ISIS militants from Syria to LibyaLibyan armed forces spokesman, Col. Ahmad al-Mesmari, said on Sunday evening that ISIS and branches of the Muslim Brotherhood affiliated to al-Qaeda ... Gulf
Syria army ousts ISIS from all of Hama provinceThe Syrian army and allied fighters drove the ISIS from their last positions in the central province of Hama on Wednesday, October 4, after heavy ... Middle East