President Emmanuel Macron said on Friday that Iran misunderstood France’s “balanced” position in the region, which centered on not taking sides between Sunni and Shi‘ites, adding that Tehran should be less aggressive in the region.
Speaking in Gothenburg, Macron said he wanted Iran to clarify the strategy around its ballistic missile program.
Macron also said he would welcome Saad al-Hariri in Paris on Saturday as Lebanon’s prime minister and expected him to return to Beirut in the “coming days, weeks.”
- Hariri to arrive in France on Saturday, meet Macron, says Elysee source
- Elysee: Macron invites Hariri and family to France
- Macron arrives in Saudi Arabia, meets Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman
- Macron unveils 1-bn euro joint investment with UAE
- In Abu Dhabi, France’s Macron says must remain firm with Iran