Egypt’s public prosecutor has filed murder charges against a man accused of killing 11 people in an attack on a Coptic church and a Christian-owned shop in a Cairo suburb last week, judicial sources said.
The man, arrested after the Dec. 29 attack, was receiving medical treatment in custody for injuries sustained in an exchange of gunfire with authorities outside the church. The prosecutor ordered him detained pending investigations, the sources said.
“He is accused of premeditated murder, attempted murder, possession of an unlicensed weapon and using it for terrorist activity,” a judicial source said.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attacks shortly afterwards, in a statement carried out by its Amaq news agency, though it provided no evidence for the claim.
Militants have claimed several attacks on Egypt’s large Christian minority in recent years, including two bombings on Palm Sunday in April and a blast at Cairo’s largest Coptic cathedral in December 2016 that killed 28 people.
Egypt hangs five prisoners over bombing that killed military cadetsEgyptian prison authorities executed on Tuesday five inmates who had been sentenced to death, four of them over a bombing that killed military cadets, ... Middle East
Two brothers killed in armed attack on liquor store in EgyptTwo men were killed in an armed attack on a liquor store on Monday in al-Omrania, Giza, south of the Egyptian capital Cairo. Eyewitnesses and Al ... Middle East
Captured Helwan church attack gunman still alive following surgeryA security source said on Saturday, that one of the gunmen involved in Friday’s terrorist attack against the Helwan church, south of Cairo, is ... Middle East
Egypt hangs 15 convicted ‘terrorists’ for deadly attack on soldiersEgypt’s Prisons Authority says 15 militants convicted of staging a deadly attack on an army checkpoint in the Sinai Peninsula four years ago ... Middle East