A member of Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Unit militias has been arrested after firing gunshots at an electoral center in Baiji district in Saladin governorate, said the Iraqi Independent High Electoral Commission (IHEC) on Saturday.
According to Iraqi television reports, the “IHEC had arrested a member of Iraq’s PMU after he fired gun shots at a voting station in Baiji district.”
Local media sources did not detail reasons behind the incident. No causalities have been reported.
The PMU are known for their support of the Fatah Alliance, which is led by Islamic Dawa party leader Haider al-Abadi.
- Iraq’s Maliki and Jabouri warn against rigged election results
- ANALYSIS: Iraq parliamentary election paves way for new faces on political scene
- Iraq reopens airspace as elections proceed without incident
- Iraq Elections 2018: Voter turnout at 44.52 percent, says electoral commission
- FACT BOX: Here are the numbers, names that will determine Iraq Elections