Iran warns US, Israel after parade attack, arrests ‘large network of suspects’
The deputy head of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards warned US and Israeli leaders on Monday to expect a “devastating” response from Tehran, accusing them of involvement in an attack on a military parade in the city of Ahwaz.
Thousands of people packed the streets of the southwestern Iranian city of Ahwaz to mourn the victims of Saturday’s assault that killed 29 people, including 12 members of the elite Revolutionary Guards.
“You have seen our revenge before ... You will see that our response will be crushing and devastating and you will regret what you have done,” Hossein Salami said in a speech before the funeral of the victims in Ahwaz, broadcast live on the state television.
Iran’s intelligence minister, Mahmoud Alavi, said a large network of suspects had already been arrested in connection with the attack, the judiciary’s news agency Mizan reported.
Four assailants fired on a viewing stand in Ahwaz where Iranian officials had gathered to watch an annual event marking the start of the Islamic Republic’s 1980-88 war with Iraq.
ISIS’s Amaq agency posted a video of three men in a vehicle who it said were on their way to carry out the attack.
A man wearing a baseball cap emblazoned with what appears to be a Revolutionary Guard logo discussed the impending attack in Farsi in the video.
Iran summons European diplomats after deadly military parade attackIranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday the United States wants to create insecurity in the Islamic Republic, a day after an attack on a ... Middle East
29 killed, 60 injured in Iran military parade attack on Revolutionary GuardsAt least 29 people, including 12 Iranian Revolutionary Guards, were killed and 60 others injured in a shooting claimed by ISIS during a military ... Middle East