Four US soldiers dead, three injured in ISIS-claimed suicide bombing in Manbij
Four US soldiers were killed and three injured in a suicide bombing targeting US-led coalition forces in the northern Syrian city of Manbij on Wednesday.
Britain-based war monitor, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said 16 people, civilians and US servicemen, were killed in the attack.
A US official confirmed the death of four and injury of three American soldiers in the blast.
“The president has been fully briefed and we will continue to monitor the ongoing situation in Syria,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a statement, referring questions to the US Department of Defense.
Manbij's Military Council's Facebook page only confirmed injuries in its initial report on the attack.
A news site linked to ISIS said the suicide attack had struck an international coalition patrol in Syria's Manbij on Wednesday.
The news site, Amaq, said the attacker had used an explosive vest to cause the blast.
Manbij has been held by US-backed fighters allied to the Kurdish YPG militia since they took it from ISIS in 2016. It is located near areas held by Russian-backed Syrian government forces and by anti-Assad fighters backed by Turkey.
Last month, US President Donald Trump made an announcement that he would withdraw all 2,000 US troops from Syria after concluding that ISIS had been defeated there. The announcement rattled allies in the region and top US officials, including Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, who quit.