Pentagon considering request to send 5,000 troops to the Middle East: Officials
The US Department of Defense is considering a US military request to send about 5,000 additional troops to the Middle East amid increasing tensions with Iran, two US officials told Reuters on Wednesday.
The officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the request had been made by US Central Command but added that it was not clear whether the Pentagon would approve the request.
The Pentagon regularly receives, and declines, requests from combatant commands throughout the world for additional resources.
One of the officials said the requested troops would be defensive in nature.
Pentagon chief: US stance on Iran is about deterrence, not warUS President Donald Trump’s administration is seeking to deter Iran but not start a war, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said after he ... World News
Pentagon says US carrier, bombers sent to Middle East on ‘credible threat’ by IranUS acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said on Monday he had approved sending a carrier strike group and bombers to the Middle East because of ... World News