The US military on Friday released a video it said showed Iran’s Revolutionary Guard removing an unexploded limpet mine from one of the oil tankers targeted near the Strait of Hormuz, suggesting the Islamic Republic sought to remove evidence of its involvement from the scene.
The US Navy rushed to assist the stricken vessels in the Gulf of Oman off the coast of Iran, including one that was set ablaze Thursday by an explosion.
Watch: US Central Command releases a video showing an Iranian boat removing an unexploded limpet mine from one of the oil tankers targeted yesterday in the Gulf of Oman.https://t.co/mEZkjuFJgp pic.twitter.com/UXDuojw0cT— Al Arabiya English (@AlArabiya_Eng) June 14, 2019
The ships’ operators offered no immediate explanation on who or what caused the damage against the Norwegian-owned MT Front Altair and the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous. Each was loaded with petroleum products, and the Front Altair burned for hours, sending up a column of thick, black smoke.
Iran has denied being involved in the attack, calling it an “unfounded claim” in the US’ “Iranophobic campaign.” However, Iran previously used mines against oil tankers in 1987 and 1988 in the “Tanker War,” when the US Navy escorted ships through the region.
The black-and-white footage, as well as still photographs released by the US military’s Central Command, appeared to show the limpet mine on the Kokuka Courageous.
A Revolutionary Guard patrol boat pulled alongside the ship and removed the mine, Central Command spokesman Capt. Bill Urban said. “The US and the international community stand ready to defend our interests, including the freedom of navigation,” Urban said.
“The United States has no interest in engaging in a new conflict in the Middle East. However, we will defend our interests.” Iran earlier denied involvement via a statement from its mission to the United Nations.
The suspected attacks occurred at dawn Thursday about 40 kilometers off the southern coast of Iran. The Front Altair, loaded with the flammable hydrocarbon mixture naphtha from the United Arab Emirates, radioed for help as it caught fire.
A short time later, the Kokuka Courageous, loaded with methanol from Saudi Arabia and Qatar, also called for help. The US Navy sent a destroyer, the USS Bainbridge, to assist, said Cmdr. Joshua Frey, a 5th Fleet spokesman. He described the ships as being hit in a “reported attack,” without elaborating.
Thursday’s attack resembled that of an attack in May targeting four oil tankers off the nearby Emirati port of Fujairah. US officials similarly accused Iran of targeting the ships with limpet mines, which are magnetic and attach to the hulls of a ship. The mines disable but don’t sink, a vessel.
UK warns Iran over ‘deeply unwise’ attacks on oil tankersBritain is working on the basis that Iran is responsible for attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday, and warned Iran that these ... Gulf
Saudi Arabia agrees Iran was behind tanker attacks, says Adel al-JubeirSaudi Arabia agrees with the United States that Iran was behind the suspected attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, Saudi Minister of State ... Gulf
Pompeo: Iran ‘responsible’ for Gulf tanker attacksUS Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a press conference on Thursday that the United States has assessed, based on intelligence, type of weapons ... World News
US official: Iran ‘highly likely’ behind tanker attacks in Gulf of OmanA US official said Iran was “highly likely” behind the attacks on two tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday, according to CBS News. Two ... World News