A World Food Programme spokesperson says Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militia have blocked a shipment meant to feed some 100,000 families in the war-torn nation that’s been pushed to the brink of starvation.
The official says the aid was blocked after the WFP partially suspended aid last week after accusing the Houthis of looting.
The Houthis, who control northern Yemen, responded with a fierce media campaign against the WFP, accusing it of sending spoiled food.
The official says the Houthis ordered over 8,000 tons of flour sent by the WFP out of the Red Sea port of Hodeidah, claiming it was contaminated with dead insects.
A subsequent check on the cargo, now docked in Oman, showed it was clean.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the incident.
Coalition: Houthis deliberately targeting civilians, public facilitiesThe Arab coalition said on Monday that the Houthis in Yemen are deliberately targeting civilians and public facilities as a result of suffering major ... Gulf
Coalition: One killed, seven injured in Houthi attack on Saudi Abha airportThe Arab Coalition said on Sunday that the Iranian-backed Houthi terrorist militia launched an attack targeting Saudi Arabia’s Abha ... Gulf
Arab Coalition: Houthi rocket targets Saudi Abha airport, 26 injuredA Houthi cruise missile fell on the arrivals hall of Saudi Arabia’s Abha International Airport, injuring 26 civilians, the Arab Coalition said ... Gulf
Coalition jets destroy two Houthi drones in Yemeni air spaceThe fighter jets of the Arab Coalition backing the legitimate government in Yemen on Saturday intercepted and destroyed two drones in the Yemeni air ... Gulf